Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Antiques, Flea Markets, and Treasure Hunts

Ever since I got here, I've been collecting various items with which to build up a fairly coordinated room. With help from my Aunt Vickie and the book she gave me, I've learned about the art of Shabby Chic - a very affordable decorating style that incorporates antiques and used items. Here's an example of a Shabby Chic-ed room, decorated by Rachel Ashwell (the reining goddess of the style):


I am not a designer and my room is no where near that level yet, but I have been frequenting some local antiques shops, thrift stores, flea markets, and garage sales in hopes of eventually coming up with something along these lines.

If you're in the market for some great antiques in Denver, I'd recommend the Lafayette Flea Market, located just northwest of the city. I don't know how many of the pieces are antiques and how much is just second hand, but there are some great finds among the endless maze of stalls. In some stalls, there is a definite theme and you can tell someone put a great deal of work into fitting their pieces into a style. Other stalls are sort of a treasure hunt, and you have to dig deeper. If you can't find something here, though, you're not looking hard enough. My first addition to my room was a white-painted wood bench I picked up on sale for 10 dollars.

If you're willing to put in the work, I'd say head to the Goodwill on South Broadway. Its two stories and had a huge collection of furniture. It's a bit more pricey than your normal goodwill, but the items are clean, organized, and they even help you load items into your car. I picked up my desk and chair there for a little over 100 dollars total, and I've been really pleased.

On Monday, I went to Downtown Littleton for an art show and was surprised to find that the place is crawling in antique stores and little boutiques. I would suggest picking up a cupcake at Lola's Sugar Rush while you parouse the antique stores. Tres Jolie boutique also boasts a confectioner's counter, so you can satisfy your sweet tooth while looking at their Rachel Ashwell and Ashwell-inspired designs. Next door to Tres Jolie, is Details, a girly paradise with a huge pink sign on the storefront.

Charlotte's Rustic Rose is an antique shop on Prince St., situtated conveniently amoung a few others. What I enjoyed about their selection was the variety - they definitely were big on the western pieces but had a quite a few Shabby Chic and Shabby Chic-able treasures as well. I would also recommend checking out the Colorado Frame Company, which looks nothing as drab as their website. The place is a craft heaven - a place I know I could leave my mother and not hear back from her for hours. They also have great furniture pieces and accessories and are definitely worth a peak inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment