Sunday, July 25, 2010

Dance the Weekend Away

I've been doing quite a bit of dancing since I arrived, but I did a TON of dancing this weekend. On Thursday night, I headed out to the kick off dance for Swingtime in the Rockies, located in Westminster, just north of us. The event was fantastic. Starting on Friday, a weekend pass bought you all the workshops you could hope for, great open dancing, and amazing showcases and competitions.


The workshops were fantastic, lead by some of my favorite couples (Ben and Melina & Jordan and Tatiana). During the day I got to social dance with a lot of great people from all around the country. I met people from Kansas, Utah, Minnesota, and, of course, Colorado. At night, the "classic" competition took off and my favorite couples hit the stage. Jordan and Tatiana's routine was a great crowd pleaser, as was a really high energy performance from Ben and Melina.

Later that night we met up with Ben to say hi and I even snagged a dance with him during the open dancing. Even though he's originally from Colorado, he only comes back here about once or twice a year, so it was a really great treat to have one last dance with my favorite swing teacher from LA.

Today there was more dancing and I eventually ended up at salsa night at the D-note in Arvada with one of the West Coast Swing dancers I had met at Swingtime. The D-note is a fun salsa bar with a live band in downtown Arvada. Street parking is free but can be a little tough.

Other places on my dance list:
Avalon Ballroom on Thursday nights - Salsa
The Highland House on Monday nights - Blues
The HIghland House on Tuesday nights - West Coast Swing
The Denver Turnverein on Sunday nights - West Coast Swing

No comments:

Post a Comment