Saturday, September 25, 2010

Oktoberfest, E-Sesh, Tennis, and Dancing

Last weekend started Denver's celebration of Oktoberfest, right outside the Double Encore office. For two weekends, Larimer street gets shut down and vendors come to sell their best brews, brats and brezen. My co-worker, Mark, and I took some pictures holding oversized beer and pretzels for our office fridge.

On Saturday, I took to Washington Park to photograph a young engaged couple who was looking for a wedding photographer. I gave them a free E-Session to see if they liked me since I've had no wedding experience yet. It was SO fun and the pictures turned out really well, but finding the time to edit them has proved trying. Where has all my time gone?!

On Saturday night I went to a dance event south of Denver. It was a fundraiser for a local line dance legend - Jo Thompson - who needed to raise money to get treatment for Aplastic Anemia. She certainly raised some money and some spirits that night - the whole West Coast Swing community came out in numbers. It was really inspiring to see how tight-nit the community here is - everyone supports each other and it's really like a family. Even 2 of my favorite dancers from California (Jordan Frisbee and Jessica Cox) showed up to support Jo and danced some amazing West Coast for everyone.

On Sunday, I met up with Brian and Zane who played some tennis by the lake. I brought my camera and snagged some cool action shots. Then we went to a local diner where I got to get my first eggs benedict fix since the move. It was SO delicious - going to have to make it soon!

The afternoon brought me to the Denver Turverein where Jordan Frisbee and Tatiana Mollmann were teaching West Coast Swing workshops. It was so fun to dance and learn from these amazing dancers who are rarely in Colorado.

That night, Lauren and I returned to the Turn where we were welcomed with open arms by the entire Denver Swing Club, including Trevor and Chelsea Spika who are my new West Coast Swing teachers. Everyone was so welcoming and so fun - it's hard to believe there are dance communities that aren't like this. We made insta friends with people our age and couldn't wait for the next Sunday.

2 comments: